I am an experienced indexer, and can produce indexes for paper-based publications, websites and ebooks. I also do database indexing. I have completed all of the basic and intermediate indexing courses run by the Australian and New Zealand Society of Indexers (ANZSI) (of which I have been a long term member), and their annual report indexing course. Some of the publishers I’ve worked for are: Penguin UK, Black Inc, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, ANU Press, the National Library of Australia, Wiley Australia and Palgrave Macmillan.
Indexers tend to specialise the topics where they have at least some knowledge and understanding. My speciality subjects include:
- War and Theatrical Innovation, Victor Emeljanow, ed. (Palgrave Macmillan)
- SmartGirls Screw Up Too: The No-Nonsense Guide to Creating the Life You Want, Bella Zanesco (Wiley Australia)
- Engaging the neighbours: Australia and ASEAN since 1974, Frank Frost (ANU Press)
- Free Speech After 9/11, Katharine Gelber (Oxford University Press)
- Makeup Masterclass, Rae Morris
- National Health Funding Body & Pool, annual reports
- Bake in Black, Eve and Dave O’Sullivan (Flood Gallery Publishing)
- Born Bad: Original Sin and the Making of the Western World, James Boyce (Black Inc.)
- Two Girls, One on Each Knee: The Puzzling, Playful World of the Crossword, Alan Connor (Penguin UK)
- An Eye for Nature — The Life and Art of William T. Cooper, Penny Olsen (National Library)
- The Archaeology of Australia’s Deserts, Dr Mike Smith (Cambridge University Press) (download the index here)
I have done pro indexing for Eat Your Books (EYB), which involves database indexing of cookbooks. Some titles I’ve indexed for EYB include The Food of Vietnam (Luke Nguyen), Ruby Violet’s Ice Cream Dreams, The 5:2 Fasting Cookbook, and Cooking Class Thai.
I have written an index for the book Quirkology (Wiseman). You are welcome to download the PDF of the index, and print it out. There are two versions of the file:
Quirkology Index A4 — this index is laid out to print onto A4 pages, either single or double sided as you prefer.
Quirkology Index booklet — this file has been designed to make a little booklet that can be slotted into the back of your copy of Quirkology. You need to be able to print double sided, and to trim pages to size (using a ruler and blade, paper guillotine etc). The pages are laid out in imposition.