Do you need a helping hand now and then, when tackling cryptic crosswords? Have we got the app for you.
CrypticGuide is the one and only reference app for cryptic crossword devotees. It runs on iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches.
CrypticGuide has been updated!
• We’ve updated the interface for iOS 7.1 and newer
• iPad users can now work in any orientation, even with a detached keyboard
• You can copy, save, and share cryptic search results on your networks
• New hidden word search, so you can find words and phrases that contain any other word
• Improved search results for anagrams and sub-words – with each sub-word, the leftover letters are listed as well
• Results with long lists of words of different lengths are now indexed by letter length, for easier scanning and navigation
• It’s easier to get dictionary definitions within the cryptic terms search results
• Cryptic term searches are organised so you can find words that contain your search term, as well as those starting with it
• The cryptic terms database has been updated and includes hundreds of new entries – thank you to those of you who sent in suggestions!
• The word lists, used for the anagram, hidden word, and wildcard searches, have also been updated
Simply type a word or short phrase from a cryptic clue in, and the app will reveal possible cryptic meanings for that word.
Our cryptic dictionary has over 7,000 cryptic synonyms, indicator words, homophones and cryptic abbreviations. These include country codes, the phonetic alphabet, short foreign words, and state and county abbreviations from Australia, the USA, India, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, and the UK. We have archaic abbreviations, and modern ones. (NB: this app is not a full dictionary or thesaurus! We recommend the Chambers apps.)
Uniquely, our cryptic dictionary also contains explanations for many of the weird and wonderful cryptic terms that are found in cryptic crosswords, so you will also find out why certain words are used!
CrypticGuide also has an anagram solver, a hidden word search, and a wildcard search, to help you out of any tight corners.
For the anagram, hidden word, and wildcard searches you can choose between the full word list, which includes proper nouns and short phrases, or the word game list, as used in games like Scrabble™.
Please note that this is an inclusive app. We make no judgement about whether certain abbreviations, indicators, or cryptic definitions are ‘unfair’, Ximenean or non-Ximenean, too old, or too modern. We have tried to include as many possibilities that you might come across in the world of cryptic crosswords, by a whole range of setters (past and present), in a whole range of papers. So, if some of the entries make you raise your eyebrows (we certainly rose ours!), please just smile in bemusement, and move on.